If one wants to visit heaven on earth with his beloved, what can be the best place other than Ooty. It is the capital of the Nilgiris district, Tamil Nadu. It is better known as the ‘Queen of Hill Stations
’. A place where you can view some of the best natural and mind rejuvenating sceneries, which become the main reason to attract the huge crowd towards itself.
Ooty is the shortened name for Udhagamandalam
. This hill station is the best place to visit in the South India and also counts for one of the best hill stations in the entire India. The place gets its pleasing beauty from its surroundings and also from its spring stuck climatic conditions throughout the year.
To get there
, you first need to board the Nilgiri Express from Chennai that will take you to Mettupalayam. From Mettupalayam, a toy-train trip awaits you to experience the leisurely journey through the dense forests and scenic views.
Once you reach there, you will find a range of attractive resorts and hotels that lure you to stay here for as long as possible. Ooty with other hill stations of Coonoor and Kothagiri get you some breath-taking views and magnificent places. Ooty’s tourism is mainly focused on the rental apartments and stay lodges for the people who visit the place. Hence you will find both luxurious as well as sober staying rooms.
Some places that come under the main tourist attraction list are:
- Rose garden: It is one of the largest Rose gardens of India. It rests at an altitude of 2200 meters on the Elk Hill. Around 20,000 different types of roses are nurtured by approx 2800 gardeners. It is a must visit place in Ooty.
- Lake Park: On the shore of the Ooty Lake is the Lake Park. It is situated opposite to the Ooty railway station and is very near to the town’s bus stand. Its major attraction is the Boat House, made alongside the lake. It is surrounded by Eucalyptus trees and hosts boat races in the summer months.
If you are fond of scenic viewing then you do would like to visit the places that are located in the surroundings of the Ooty hill station. Some of the places are:
- Ooty Lake: Covering an area of 65 acres, this artificial lake is the main tourist attraction due to the boating facility. It was built in 1824. It is also famous for the Mini Train, which draws large crowd. Boating in the lake gives you immense pleasure and makes your trip to Ooty a memorable one.
- Doddabetta: Situated at a height of 2634 meters, the Doddabetta peak is the highest peak in the Nilgiris. It is the junction spot of the Western & Eastern Ghats that offer beautiful view of the Blue Mountains. The Telescope House managed by T.T.D.C. enables the tourists to view beyond the scenery of the beautiful mountains.
- Pykara Lake: The previous inhabitants of Ooty, Todas, consider the Pykara Lake as a sacred one. It flows about 21 kilometers from Ooty on the Ooty - Mysore road. The forest guest house, boat house and dam by the Pykara add more to the scenic beauty of the lake. It is 6 kilometer from the main road and has grassy meadows along its path. Its two falls, at the end of the lake have become the spot for major tourist attraction.
- Kalhatty Falls: The Kalhatty slopes, 13 kilometers from Ooty, support the Kalhatty falls. Visitors can easily view this natural fall from the Ooty- Mysore Kalhatty Ghat road. Water falls from a height of about 100 feet and is the habitat to Panthers, Spotter deers and many different types of wild animals and birds.
- Elk Hill: About 500 feet above the ground level and it takes less than is an hour to walk from the Chating Cross. Here one gets a wide-angle view of Udhagamandalam and its surroundings.
- Coonoor: It is a small town area situated at an altitude of 2000 feet, 17 kilometers away from Ooty. Its pleasant climate throughout the year has got more tourists attracted. Visitors tour the town for Sim’s Park, a botanical garden that is well maintained. Conoor includes Lambs Rock, Lady Canning's Seat, Dolphin's Nose, St Catherine Falls as some of the famous tourists spots.
The hill station has mainly tea plantations and other economic sources for Ooty are handicrafts, carpentry and pickles.
So now you have got all information about visiting Ooty and viewing its phenomenal beauty. Set yourself for visiting the ‘Queen of Hill Stations’, a perfect place for you to go with your beloved or by yourself for a relaxing experience.